This annual report examines spending in the functional areas of state budgets: elementary and secondary education, higher education, public assistance, Medicaid, corrections, transportation, and all other. It also includes data on capital spending by program area, as well as information on general fund and transportation fund revenue collections.
Overview: Fiscal 2017-2019
- Total state spending rose by 5.7 percent in fiscal 2019, compared to 3.4 percent in fiscal 2018.
- Spending from states’ own funds increased at the highest annual growth rate since the last recession.
- Transportation and the “all other” category experienced strong spending growth from state funds in fiscal 2019, while Medicaid spending growth slowed.
- Spending from federal funds to states also rose in fiscal 2019, partly due to recent federal budget agreements.
- State tax collections experienced strong gains in both fiscal 2018 and fiscal 2019, following two years of slow growth in fiscal 2016 and fiscal 2017.
- Download Summary.
- Download Full Report.
- Purchase Hard Copy.
National Association of State Budget Officers